Do you have a Dyson cordless vacuum such as the V6, V7, V8, or even V11? There's an easy way to clean and maintain each of these. That is why we have outlined the simple steps on how to clean a Dyson cordless vacuum. It could be the vacuum's main head, filter, or brush bar and we'll show you how to get it done easily.
Interestingly, knowing how to take apart a Dyson cordless vacuum to clean will help it to continue working efficiently. For instance, if its filters are not blocked by dirt or dust, it can still trap large and small dirt easily. The same applies to the brush bar, which will still be able to pick up hair. Therefore, if you're using a vacuum from this top-rated brand, you can enjoy its functionality for a long time.
How to Clean Your Vacuum Following Dyson's Instructions
Here's a tip that comes straight from Dyson, the manufacturer of these appliances. According to the U.K based manufacturer, you need to wash the vacuum's filter regularly. The latter can be done by rinsing the filter under a cold tap until the water is clear. The clear water proves that the filter is less dirty or has become clean.
And most importantly, don't wash the filter with detergent. Also, once the water is clear or looks clean enough, squeeze out the excess water and leave the filter to dry for at least 24 hours. After then you can proceed to refit it into the machine properly.
Here's How to Get Each of These Done:
- Disconnect the vacuum if it is still connected to its charger.
- Take apart the appliance into pieces and ensure you do not press the 'On' trigger.
- Remove the filter by pushing the button labelled, 'Filter' (the filter is located on the top and looks like a short rod.)
- Find a sink that you'll wash the filter in.
- Run the filter under cold water from your sink's tap and wait until the water becomes clear.
- Move gently from side to side to remove the excess water from the filter.
- Leave out the filter to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Replace the filter when it is completely dry.
How to Wash the Brush Bar of a Dyson Cordless Vacuum
The brush bar of your Dyson cordless vacuum may have human or pet hair stuck within it. However, these hairs can be removed with ease. Here's how to do it:
- Disconnect your vacuum from the wall socket if it is charging.
- Take apart the vacuum into pieces and avoid touching the 'On' trigger.
- Remove the back cover on the brush bar by placing a screwdriver or a coin. First, turn the brush bar 'fastener or round button' one quarter, and then move it counter-clockwise to unlock it. Remove the back cover.
- Secondly, use the coin or screwdriver to move the cap at the edge and gently take out the brush bar from the cleaner's head.
- Use scissors or your fingers to gently take out any tangled hair within the brush bar
- Run the brush bar under a cold tap until the water is clear
- Leave the brush bar to dry for at least 24 hours
- Replace the brush bar in the vacuum, as well as, the side and back fasteners that were removed.
How to Maintain Your Dyson Vacuum
Cleaning is one way to maintain your Dyson vacuum, however, there is a list of things you need to do to ensure you get every dime for your machine's worth for a long time. Therefore, do the following:
1. Empty Dust Bin:
Dyson has advised that you do not overfill your vacuum's dust bin. Hence, you need to empty it regularly. For instance, once dirt in the bin reaches the MAX mark, in the case of the V6, empty it. What this does, is to ensure that your vacuum does not lose its suction power.
All it takes is to release the bin's bottom cover to release the dirt. Then disconnect the bin entirely to rinse under water, and leave to dry. Also, use a screwdriver to gently unlock the rubber bolts close to the region you took out the bin. This will allow you to clean off the leftover dust using a paintbrush.
2. Regular Checks:
You get a free health check when you take your Dyson cordless vacuum to one of the Dyson Service Centers near you. As such, even before your machine malfunctions or breaks down, you can have good knowledge about its state of health and how to fix. These are free preventative maintenance checks that will keep your appliance useful for a long time.
These are the simple steps on how to clean a Dyson cordless stick or hand-held vacuum. Doing so will ensure that your unit works perfectly for a long time. Its suction will not run low, and neither will it stop picking even the most minute dirt. Therefore, clean and maintain yours regularly whether it's the Dyson Animal, Absolute, or Fluffy model, to aid its proper functioning always.
Featured Image by Look Magazine.